Saturday, April 7, 2012

"I (heart) the Boy With the Bread"

 "Happy Hunger Games"
I was intrigued by the plot of the Hunger Games before the film was released but had reservations about teens fighting till the death in the ultimate survival of the fittest. After talking with a few fellow teachers at work, I decided to give 'am a whirl.

I finished all three books in two weeks. Very good read! I loved the characters; Katniss who is a very strong, smart and yet innocent female compared to the fickle, guy-crazed girl stars as of late. This arrow-flyin heroine's got gumption. Peeta is a great one too.  He is a baker's son; kind, solid, 'here I am', kind of guy. The sweet, things he does for Katniss throughout the series is endearing.

 Haymich (Woody Harrelson) and Cinna (Lenny Kravitz) are perfection.
 
I loved the creative storyline and your imagination is stretched to ponder the possibility of an oppressive, dictatorship, the will to survive and the fight to remain true to yourself.

I was so looking forward to seeing HG in theaters and finally went last night. Half of it was exactly what I had hoped for. Some of it was over the top, intense. I can't imagine having seen the movie without reading the book first. There is so much to wrap your mind around, I feel I wouldn't have been prepared for what I saw on the screen if I hadn't have known what was coming. I was almost out of breath and felt drained afterwards. But it is a heavy series. Most people who are upset at the idea have never read them. The first book sets up the next two. It's an intro made to get you ticked off at the government for the horrible totalitarian way they do things.


In a dystopian future, the nation of Panem (old North America) is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. "and may the odds be ever in your favor." When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives.

On the whole, I wouldn't recommend the movie unless you're a film fan, love rebellion themed stories or have read the books. But to you HG fans, the part where Peeta puts salve on Katniss cut, Haymich in general and the 'thank you for your consideration' part was everything I was looking forward to seeing =)



No comments: